More Plants

I set out this morning to get materials for the irrigation system -- mostly pipe fittings. As it turned out, I was able to get half the fittings I needed and the rest were special order items, and the ones I would have had to order were the only part of the system I could have set up this weekend.

So I hauled all the stuff home, dumped the pipes in the yard and the sprinklers inside, and went to Annie's for a quick pick-me-up.

I got only a few plants -- this is the time of year when Annie's starts looking really sparse because we're basically done with planting for the season in the Bay Area.

Mainly I wanted some sweet peas for this bed by the front steps. I started some inside from seed, but they have, as we say, failed to thrive. I really should have planted them outside weeks ago, but with the carpentry on the stairs going on that was not going to happen. So I bought three sweet peas and when I got home I planted them here with some blue star creeper I got at the Cal Poly plant sale last week.

Driveway bed

Also in that bed is a new pelargonium from the same Cal Poly plant sale, and two other plants I put in months ago (a pinky-purple pelargonium from the SLO Botanic Garden plant sale, and a plant from Annie's). I kind of have no idea what to do there, because it's a narrow little strip but it is right along the driveway where people walk. I guess I'll just muddle around with it for a while.

The other thing I did this afternoon was spray the living hell out of the roses. See, here's the view over the roses before spraying:

powedery mildew

That's Bonica in the foreground, perfect and infection-free. Behind it, The Fairy is basically covered in powdery mildew. And there was mildew all over almost every other rose. Yeah, I know that's the deal when you have warm days and cold nights, but it was kind of a bummer. So I went mad and sprayed them all with fungicide.

Now I'm going to spend my evening with scratch paper and a site plan, figuring out more irrigation details. I have to go take some exams later this week, but next week will be one huge orgy of flexible hose.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

posted by ayse on 06/04/06

2 Comments

If it's any consolation, I dutifully sowed sweet peas in Feb. and got a total of 3 plants out of it.

Have you tried Serenade on the roses? It's an organic Bacillus (subtilis, not thuringensis) that supposedly works on rust, anthracnose, black spot and powdery mildew, all of which afflict an old hybrid tea we inherited. At the same time. Profusely. I haven't been using it long enough to tell, but Mr. Google tells me it works on black spot at least.

I haven't tried that, but I will look for it. The label on that web site says it works on powdery mildew, which is good news.

Of course, it's also toxic to inhale or touch, so I'm not sure what the benefits are, except in the sense that it is not made from petrochemicals.

Note: We're getting pummeled with spam comments, so I've turned off the ability to use any HTML or include any links for the time being. Email with any issues.

Leave a comment

« Previous
Home
Next »