Hacking at the Garden
Last week, if you will recall, I was hacking away at grass that had grown over the upper path through the orchard. Today I swapped my scuffle hoe for an adze, and work went much better.
Here's where I left it off last week, with several tough islands of grass still in place.
And after today's heavy labour:
In celebration, I planted some butterfly plants in one cleared section, and some lamb's ear along the pathway edge.
I also spent a fair amount of time working on the last bit of irrigation plumbing, which is the mister system for the Fern Walk. I was reluctant to install it while we were watering with city water, but now that we're using the tank we have more than enough water to waste some of it with misters.
Of course, I got partway through the installation and realized I was missing some critical pieces, so I then spent an hour or more dealing with weeds that have been coming back there. I think I put about ten buckets of weeds into the compost today.
It's quite the day for messing up on material estimates. Here's Noel, hard at work on the pump switch (to turn the pump on before the valves open, and turn it off when they close), realizing that he bought the wrong relay today. Oops.
posted by ayse on 03/24/08