Let There be Light

The one thing that wasn't really working in the dining room was the light. There was not enough of it, and the fixture had some issues, as well.

The old light fixture

We actually considered, at 7pm on Christmas Eve, trying to find a new fixture before dinnertime the next day. Fortunately, every hardware store within easy driving distance was well closed by that time, so we dined by the light of a single bulb.

Over the weekend, though, we went out to find a decently bright light fixture. It had to meet three criteria: 1. cheap, 2. bright, and 3. not totally offensively wrong in the space. It turns out that's harder than you might think, but we finally found a $60 fixture at Home Depot that would take five 60W bulbs (which meant we could put 5 1300-lumen fluourescents in it for LOTS OF LIGHT).

Noel did the wiring part and I assembled the bottom, then he attached the two parts.

Noel assembles the lighting fixture

We hung it fairly low, because it will be over the table most of the time. But it can loop up for dances or if we have indoor dog wrestling events. Or when we move all the furniture out again so we can rip up the floor.

The new light in place

We just need to patch up the gap in the ceiling.


Technorati Tags: , ,

posted by ayse on 12/29/09

6 Comments

That looks really perfect for the space. I'm glad you changed the lighting and look forward to coming over and drinking all your booze and molesting your dogs under the improved lighting conditions.

That seems like the perfect light for that room! Looks great!

Beautiful! Also, depends on whether you like the look or not, but Ohmega Salvage in Berkeley often has beautiful salvaged ceiling medallions (and always has reproductions, though I think they're pricier) that could double as a nice touch for the room and an easy way to patch the gap.

We actually have the original (though very badly damaged) medallion from this room, awaiting repair. I don't think we'll try rehanging that or getting another one right now; this room is in a halfway state on the way to bigger plans we have for this part of the house.

That's interesting that the reproductions are more expensive, but having worked with the originals a bit, I can understand that. I'd pay more for something more engineered. My longterm plan is actually to restore the medallions and then make cast copies of them from a lighter, more flexible material. Then I can hide the originals in a closet to age like the portrait of Dorian Gray.

Wow, now that looks like a room!

When you hold the ball, let me know! ;^)

Wow! It's a real room now, with a light (not hanging by a cord) and everything :-) It's looking good.

Note: We're getting pummeled with spam comments, so I've turned off the ability to use any HTML or include any links for the time being. Email with any issues.

Leave a comment

« Previous
Home
Next »