Glue and I

Yesterday it rained gently all day long, so no plumbing happened. (Over the weekend, we went to San Diego to spend some time with my parents, who were in town for a conference.) So it was good to hear the weather forecast as bright and clear for the next couple of days. After all, I have a lot of plumbing to do.

First part of the tank connection

The first part of the work went quickly. I threaded connectors to the bulkhead fittings on the tank, and began working my way out from there. You can see on the bottom that I have a valve so we can turn off the water from the tank, and a union so we can disconnect the plumbing up to that point.

How the tank will connect to the house

The pipes will be coming into the wall a little lower than they did before, to accommodate the deck above. I might need to adjust that lower run a little higher to make that work. And it turns out that I need an elbow that is a little shallower than I thought for that upper pipe, so I've gone as far with that as I can.

Reusing parts from the old tank connection

The good news is that I will be able to reuse a bunch of old pieces from the previous plumbing, like this set of connectors that go from 1" PVC to 3/4" hose pipe thread. The sump output is hose pipe (there's a hose connected to it right now, in fact), and I can use these pieces (after a thorough washing) with a 1 1/4" to 1" reducer to connect to the pipe that goes into the tank at the top.

Disconnecting the old connection from the pump

I got about this far today: I disconnected the hose from the pump that goes to the yard. At this point I realized that I was going to need more unions than I ordered, because I need to be able to take this system apart more than I originally expected. So it's off to Pagano's for me, to see if they have the parts I need. If not, I'll have to order them, which will delay me another day.

posted by ayse on 01/12/11

4 Comments

The red thing is the valve? Are you going to have to dig down if you decide to turn the water off?

The red thing is the valve, but we won't have to dig it out unless dirt falls in there. One of my regular maintenance tasks is keeping the tank dug away from the soil, since it is not a tank designed to be buried. Also, we have several other places where we can turn the system off; this is a valve designed to make it less traumatic to drain the tank when we get around to replacing it, so I don't expect to use it very often.

I know this is a little late, but I think I would have liked to see the future pond be incorporated into the tank/watering plan, replacing the tank with the above ground pool.

It can't replace the tank (we'll still need that for buffering the water supply to the irrigation pump), but the pond will definitely be part of the larger water storage/cycling plan. With added fertilizer from the fish.

Note: We're getting pummeled with spam comments, so I've turned off the ability to use any HTML or include any links for the time being. Email with any issues.

Leave a comment

« Previous
Home
Next »