Overextending Ourselves

When I finally got our permit drawings done, we made some drastic changes (like sinking the water tank down and changing the shape and height of our deck) and we decided we might as well add the bathrooms into the mix. So some more drawings, some careful reading of the new plumbing code (the last few years have made for a lot of changes in codes in California), and we're ready to apply for a permit to do the other two bathrooms, which is really part of the foundation completion, anyway.

Upstairs bathroom, cleared out

Last week I rather enthusiastically emptied the upstairs bathroom to prepare. And the stuff we had stowed in there needs to find a new home, because it's obviously not going to live in our bathroom in the future. Some of the work I have to do over the next week is clear all the boxes and stuff now piled in the hall to their new homes.

Pulling up the old flooring

This afternoon we pulled up the cruddy old flooring, more because we wanted to do something than for any practical reason. The floor is bad, but not as bad as it could have been. (Naturally, all the animals had to get in on the action.)

We're holding off on opening up any walls until I have the permit in hand, which should happen this week, since I think we're now in strictly over-the-counter territory for work to be done. I still have a bunch of stuff to move around to new locations, and I have a couple of other projects I need to get going on (most notably my rose hedge retaining wall, which I will start this week), but it felt really good to pull up that cheap flooring. (And check out the weird repair to the floor over in the corner.)

posted by ayse on 01/23/11


Looks like you have all your usual help lucky you! what do you have in mind for new flooring? Just wondering is that a former bathroom fixture placement where water probably destroyed the flooring have been there done that. Not well I might add needs further adjustments Oh bother! Sometimes it just seems to all come at once . Ye Gads you are such a pair of great acheivers just makes me tired bless your hearts and souls. I looked up on the map to see exactly where you are located I should say yes you are a former beach house summer house!

ah to have been there when it was a new. It will be grander and such a respite, then is owning a home ever finished ? Only when you say goodbye adious to the new custodians of time. Hugs to animals who help! LOL

Yup, over in the corner there's some kind of water damage that's been inexpertly repaired. We're going to have a shower over that area so we don't need to worry about making good repairs to the floor: we can leave it as-is. As for flooring, we haven't decided, but probably sheet linoleum since it is relatively cheap and easy to install.

I can't wait to see what it looks like after everything is put redone.

Note: We're getting pummeled with spam comments, so I've turned off the ability to use any HTML or include any links for the time being. Email with any issues.

Leave a comment

« Previous
Next »