As much as we enjoyed our little fire hazard in the basement, all good things must come to an end and we had to say goodbye. This afternoon found us back under the house installing the new junction box.

Unboxed electrical service

Here is where we started. Noel finished the last of the conduit to the junction box this morning, and he was ready for the new box. Of course, the new box is larger than the old one so first he had to install another board under the joists to attach it to (the existing ones were VERY firmly attached, so just moving one over was not going to be the easy option).

Getting ready to install the new box

The additional board turned out to be the big deal in this project. For some reason all the 2x4 stock we had was inexplicably hard to nail through, and I will just vaguely mention putting the board in the wrong place twice. Whatever. It seems like no matter how well you plan a project you always end up being sideswiped by some weird little unexpected quirk.

What, the photos taken in the dark with a flashlight are a little to art-house for you? OK, fine, I will use the flash.

Ready for the new upstairs wiring to go in

Once the box was in place, it was not too hard to reverse the process of taking all the wiring out of the box and putting it all back in place. There were a few details that needed correcting, like a missing anti-short bushing and so on, but nothing we didn't have the materials to get done. And there's plenty of room in the new box for the new wiring to fit.

You can see the wires from the old fusebox there, draped over the side of the box, ready to be replaced by the new subpanel. I can't wait.

We also talked through the process of pulling the new wires through the conduit and that sounds like it will be a whole lot of fun, though I'm not sure how well it will photograph.

posted by ayse on 04/13/14


Hooray for removing fire hazards!
It looks nice!

Ayse and Noel, I don't even remember how I found your blog, but I'm so glad that I did. I have spent the last 2 weeks reading the entire blog from start to finish. It has been amazing! I love the garden, the house, the snark, and all the helpful information. I live in an apartment, so I can't really use any of the information, but love to live vicariously. I have a couple of questions if you have a moment.

1. There was a period of time when Noel's hair was hot pink but you never said why? I was just curious.

2. What kind of musician is Noel? My husband and I are both musicians and I'm fascinated by your keyboard collection. We have a drum collection.

You are such a talented writer and I have felt all of the highs and lows of your experience. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us.

Welcome, Jenny. Sorry you suffered through our lengthy archives.

Answers for you:

1. Yes, Noel had pink hair for a while, blue for a while before that, on a whim. Then he decided it was too high-maintenance and gave it up. When it was blue I told the neighborhood kids it turned that way when he ate too many blueberries.

2. Mostly piano, but there are a distressing number of accordions in the house, as well. They're a little easier to store in the house, to be sure.

Note: We're getting pummeled with spam comments, so I've turned off the ability to use any HTML or include any links for the time being. Email with any issues.

Leave a comment

« Previous
Next »