Doorlips

While Noel has been slaving away at the back bedroom, I've been moderately chugging along with finishing the pantry doorway.

Plaster finished on the pantry doorway

It would have been so much easier to have done this when we did the rest of the room, but of course we didn't because we were having threshold issues at the time, and we ran out of drywall, so here you go.

On Friday I declared the plastering done, since this was just going to suck up as much time as I would give it. Not my finest plastering job, but functional.

On Saturday I taped off and did a coat of primer. Looked good enough, so on Sunday I took all the little pots of sample paint from when we did the dining room and put down a nice coat of gray paint.

Grey coat

We had had a discussion about how to paint the doorway, with the biggest restriction being the desire to not spend more money on paint. Since we have a bunch of partial cans in the basement this seemed like a totally workable goal. The question was, do we use the bright hotdog-mustard yellow can, or the orange, or maybe... the bright red.

Leftover paint from the front bedroom

My argument was that it's better to make something weird look intentional than not, so let's go crazy and use the bright red. It was leftover from the glaze coat in the front bedroom, and it's not a colour we're likely to use a lot of in any other place (as evidenced by the six years of dust on the lid of the can).

My only worry was that I remembered this as a very glossy paint, and my half-assed plastering job would look even more half-assed with gloss paint. But it turned out to be satin, which is not ideal but more acceptable.

So the gray coat was there to help the red, since reds have such terrible coverage.

The good news was that the paint was in reasonable condition despite six years in the can. The bad news was that the can was not, and chunks of rusty gunk fell into the paint when I opened it. But I picked out the gunk and decanted into a storage jar I'd been planning to throw out, anyway, and all was well.

Well, all was slow, because this is Benjamin Moore Regal, and it takes 12 hours to dry solid enough to recoat. A couple of years of painting with Aura, and I am totally spoiled for fast-drying paint.

This morning, I put on a second coat, and by early this afternoon I was able to pull down the masking tape.

New pantry doorway

It's not a colour scheme that works for everybody, but it works for us. I suggested we make a pair of big white teeth and hang them from the top of the doorway. A tongue-shaped rug, and we're all set.

And boy, is it nice having the stove back in place again.

posted by ayse on 09/13/10

8 Comments

I like it! (But I also like the idea of the tongue-shaped rug :-)

It looks great! But now you need new flooring. I like the rug idea.

I think it looks fantastic. And a "mouth" was not the first thing that sprang to mind (though you certainly could Halloween it up!) But I think it really frames the pantry, which is looking so gorgeous since your last organizing job that it totally looks intentional. If you found a couple vases or little paintings or something in the same bright red to tuck into pantry corners or frame in the pantry wall to carry that color into the details, it would complete the look.

That's gorgeous! Nice work!!! :D

It looks entirely non-half-assed! ;^) And really nice.

FWIW, the doorways and windowframes in my 1920s kitchen were all painted bright red in the late '40s or '50s...to go with the grey, black, and red plaid linoleum that was layer three of six in the archaeological dig that was my kitchen floor. So it's historical! (sorta.)

Just be aware if you ever change your mind that although red may not cover well, it's even harder to cover. Maybe paints are different now, but that darned red keeps bleeding through here and there several years after I think it's done. I'm not sure why in some places and not others, but I suspect it's coming through in places where the old oil paint overlayers had chipped away. I think they do a better job of suppressing it than latex.

Jessamyn, when we go to change this colour, we'll be tearing down the walls for our big remodel, so no worries. Especially since the kitchen will become a dining room, so it will be dark red walls, anyway. (Though I'm loving that red so much that maybe we'll do Ruby Red but just a little darker.)

Hey, along the lines of "add some red accessories & it will look like a masterful design plan" you could probably use the red paint inside some old glass vases. Just swirl it around in there & remember not to ever use them (since it won't really dry right or adhere to the glass).

I thought of that b/c my grandmother used to keep a mayo jar painted with cream paint (inside the jar) in the back of her fridge. It looked like a jar of mayo, but it held spare cash in a baggie.

Actually, we have a lot of red accessories in there, already. (I like red stuff.) And a couple pieces of art that are predominately red or orange (you can see one in the photo, on the 4th shelf, in the middle, though it looks very dark in the photo).

We just had a real brainstorm about the rest of the red paint, though. Funny how when you have most of a can of red paint everything looks like it needs painting.

Note: We're getting pummeled with spam comments, so I've turned off the ability to use any HTML or include any links for the time being. Email with any issues.

Leave a comment

« Previous
Home
Next »