Not Quite a New Window

Several weeks ago, the folks from the Wooden Window came and measured our arched window over the front door for replacement. You may recall we are replacing that window as part of our work this year.

Last week they called to tell us the window was ready, and Noel obtained the permit for replacing the window. We've been very excited about this window because what was in that space was half a window plus some painted drywall, which is pretty typical for old-house previous-owner fixits, but also not a great thing to look at every single day every time we walk down the stairs. The new window has hinges so we can open it in the summer for air circulation, and no part of it is made of drywall, concrete, duct tape, or fake wood paneling.

We couldn't schedule time to replace the window last week because we were out of town, but this morning we had Wooden Window on the schedule bright and early.

The arch window opening cleaned out

The first thing to do was take out the junk in the window opening. Noel did this before the installer got here. This also involved locking the cats upstairs and putting the dogs in the back yard so that when the installer arrived there would not be a tragedy involving our new window and a rambunctious animal.

That is somebody else's dog across the street there. Just so you know, our dogs were in the back yard, doing what dogs do in a back yard, which is to say laying around in the dirt.

A little extra cleaning

It wasn't clear to us in advance how cleaned out they needed the window opening, so when the installer got here he had to clean it out a little more. He had a vacuum with a nifty little paint scraping attachment on it so the paint chips just got sucked away.

The new window waiting to be fitted

And this is our new window. Or should I say, this was our new window, because the best laid plans were about to gang agley, if you know what I mean.

Lifting the window into place

Wooden window installation is actually quite straightforward. You just heave the thing into place, attach it, and maybe slap a little caulk around it for good measure.

Fitting the window

Though you might be looking at this image and thinking, "something looks a little off here."

And the window does not fit

And indeed, something was a little off. The window. The shape of the arch was not the same as the arch in the opening. By, like, an inch of depth on the low ends. That's not something you can make look right with judicious shimming and caulking. The window will need to be completely rebuilt.

As I said to Noel, I was really glad we hadn't been responsible for mismeasuring the window. Mistakes happen in construction and somebody always has to pay for it. In this case, our only real cost is the delay in getting our new window.

So we have a plywood window

In the meantime, we have a plywood window in the arched opening. A little less light in the hallway (I didn't realize how much I depend on the porch light coming through the front window until it was closed off), but perfectly functional.

posted by ayse on 02/21/12

2 Comments

So sorry you had a glitch. That is one reason to hire some parts of remodel. I am sure window wasn't cheap.

Aw, bummer! I'm glad the fix is coming to you at no cost, at least.

Note: We're getting pummeled with spam comments, so I've turned off the ability to use any HTML or include any links for the time being. Email with any issues.

Leave a comment

« Previous
Home
Next »