More Wall Washing

It's almost as exciting as watching paint dry! Only, like, in reverse!

In the spirit of just getting things done for heaven's sake, I got Noel to help me set up the scaffolding on the stairs so I could get more wall washing done.

Scaffolding set up on the stairs

This is not the recommended configuration for stairs, but it worked OK and was stable enough.

Before washing

I decided I would see how far up the wall I could get tonight before my shoulders gave in or it got to be too late. The level the gray stuff started at in the photo above is as far up as I can reasonably reach from the stairs.

With the scaffolding further up the stairs

It wasn't that long before I had to get Noel to help me move the scaffolding further up the stairs. The outer walls go much faster than interior walls; I think the paint is less well adhered because of the seasonal temperature changes.

And after!

I made way more progress than I expected, getting quite a bit of the way up the stair wall.

Paint removed above the stairs

This is about as far as I can reach from the scaffolding, so our next move is to bring the scaffolding up the stairs and add a level. That's when it will get fun.

The ceiling is very light

Just that little bit of washing off the gray makes a big difference in the light.

The scaffolding takes up the whole width of the stairs, which makes getting around it interesting (Noel climbed up over the high end, across the platform, then down the low end to get himself a cup of tea). It also means we have to take it down every night, which is going to get a lot less fun as this progresses (it's already not exactly fun). But it's good to be making progress.

posted by ayse on 10/22/12

8 Comments

I find the difference incredible! Although this is a laborious task, the visible results must be very satisfying. Cannot wait to see what you have in store for the front hallway once you have washed all of the walls.

It's taken me awhile, but I've finally slogged through your blog! What a journey! My hat's off to you both for all that you've done. My lovely wife and I are restoring an 1887 Octagon house in Minnesota. We don't have the time or energy to do as much of it ourselves as you do, and we don't have enough money to hire it all done, so we make a little bit of progress each year.

Have you figured out what hardware you're going to use on your pocket doors (pulls and locks)? I came across a pretty slick little lock when I repurposed a hinged door to be used as a bathroom pocket door.

We don't know what hardware we're going to use. Right now I am trying to convince myself to settle for something less than gorgeous, because the really lovely hardware requires a thicker door (ours is 1-1/2 inches thick). Tell me about this slick little lock.

You can see it here (don't remember if this is where we bought it):
http://www.doorware.com/site/product.cfm?id=157410

It's simple, effective and unobtrusive, and allowed us to use antique hardware for the pulls. You can just make out the Eastlake-style pull in this photo (the keyhole is non-functional):
http://home.comcast.net/~woodbine1/userfiles/Entry.jpg

I used a plain antique brass edge pull for when it's fully recessed in the pocket.

I think our doors are 1-3/8" thick, so you shouldn't have any problems with this approach.

You have made my month. That is so awesome. And a more effective lock than those edge ones, anyway.

Dang, I tried to post here about that type of lock when you were talking about pocket doors before, but the web ate my post and I forgot to get around to redoing it! I installed that type of lock on the pocket door we put in our bathroom addition, and it works great. Very simple to use, and the quality is pretty good (ours is chrome).

Jessamyn, I will give you bonus credit because I bet that was back when our webhost was just dropping connections all over the place. You also made my month. :)

Hah! I wasn't angling for credit ;) just feeling bad that you could have been happy about hardware much sooner. I know how delightful it is when a problem, however niggling, is solved!

Note: We're getting pummeled with spam comments, so I've turned off the ability to use any HTML or include any links for the time being. Email with any issues.

Leave a comment

« Previous
Home
Next »