Looking Back on Year One (Ten Year Plan)
So we're one year into the Ten Year Plan, worked out last year and posted here, and also printed out and posted all over the house to keep us on target. Let's see how much progress we've made:
Projects to be done in the context of the Ten-Year Plan:
- Paint exterior of house
The main body colour is completed. We may do the trim over the summer if money is sufficient.
- Finish living rooms
Both parlours have drywall walls replacing the failed plaster, have been insulated, and rewired. The front parlour needs finished taping and mudding, pending my recovery from respiratory suffering, then painting. They both still lack replacement trim, and we have not replaced the fireplace in the front parlour.
- Foundation replacement phase one (replace existing foundation as-is)
Contract is signed, work is set to begin next week.
- Remove Fright Box under house, redo plumbing to upstairs bath and add half bath under stairs (related to foundation work)
Removing this stuff is part of the foundation replacement contract. The rest awaits copious free money.
- Remove chimney (related to foundation work), replace furnace thing with gas fireplace, add gas fireplace upstairs
Removal is part of the foundation replacement contract, replacement will have to wait until we have a pile of money to spend on the necessary fire safety upgrades to the chimney chase. The floor furnace thing is gone as of this summer, and we now have functioning forced-air central heat.
- Re-roof (related to foundation work and chimney removal)
Planned for next summer.
- Insulate crawlspace and attic
Half the crawlspace is insulated. We will finish the rest over weekends as time permits. We'll do the attic insulation once the roof is replaced.
- Remove fake wooden panelling, stabilize plaster, and repaint all rooms
This is begun and will be completed when we can afford to lose use of the dining room for a couple weeks. Maybe over the summer.
- Block air infiltration around various doors
- Replace window sashes
Signed contract with Hansen Windows in Oakland to replace two of the worst cases. They said we would get our new windows by March 2004. Which we did not. They have been AWOL since May, and now we have to sue to get our deposit back and start over. This will be done slowly over time, because replacement windows are very expensive.
- Strip ugly pink paint from as much woodwork as possible
I've dropped the ball on this, largely due to time constraints.
- Remove linoleum from floors/refinish wooden floors
Not yet begun.
- Remove the concrete driveway extension into the back yard
Some large portions of this will be coming out during construction this winter. Maybe all. We'll see how the costs work out.
- Related landscaping/gardening
- Repair front porch/re-rebuild front steps
Nope. But the front steps will be re-rebuilt during foundation work.
- Repair side porch, remove steps, and turn into a conservatory
Obviously not enough money to spend on desires rather than needs.
- Draw detailed plans for the Day of Glory (ie, when we get to start the renovation project that requires us to move out)
Completed over the summer, at least for the most part. Someday I'll get around to putting that up here so you can laugh at our optimism.
posted by ayse on 01/01/05Note: We're getting pummeled with spam comments, so I've turned off the ability to use any HTML or include any links for the time being. Email with any issues.